Saturday, March 30, 2013

Gained 7 pounds in 1 day

In one of today's videos, (I watched the first half), Coach goes on an eating frenzy!  It is kind of gross, looking back at it.  The funny thing is, he was just showing how people that are not concious about their intake, or schedule, choose on a daily or on a much more than regular basis.  For breakfast, 8 eggs.  For lunch, a big 'ol burrito from a chain restaurant it seems, piled with meat inside, rice, etc... a fatty.  For dinner, a burger.  Double patty, but much bigger than a traditional 1/2 pound or 1/3 or 1/4, along with a much needed chocolate shake.  I was astonished.  Have I done this before?  No.  Never.  But I have woken up, skipped breakfast and my a.m. snack, then made up for it later, with a buffet, a couple sammiches, a big steak, etc... Then maybe later in the day, some whiskey sours or beer, or both. Throughout the day, likely Gatorade or Rockstars, Mountain Dew.  Did I do this every day?  Hell no!  But, I did it enough.  Too much.  To make matters worse, I didn't think about it. Ever. I'd feel guilty after, sometimes.  Or I'd feel like I had to "get my money's-worth."  Honestly, I enjoy having a beer or 10 with my brothers and friends or cousins.  I was a bachelor.  C'mon.  These days, I am choosing different.  But, had I ever had a day where I ate like I watched Coach Cowboy eat in this video, and I'm sad to say, I probably did at some point(s), I am absolutely disgusted that I could be in the category, with a 7 lbs weight gain in one day.

I must admit, trying to consume the daily calories is tougher than I expected.  I'm making the effort and before long it will be 2nd nature.  But, if feels like I'm always eating!  I understand it is for metabolism.  I do.  I get it.  But I feel like we're buying a lot of groceries, for me.  That is tough to swallow when you've already felt that way for some time, being the biggest guy.  Everywhere.  Biggest in my family of siblings.  Biggest in my family of cousins.  Biggest in my group of buddies. Biggest in the city?  Probably, depending on the city and the year.  Missoula, MT is not a very populated city.  In the surrounding areas, probably close to 100k, or 115k.  But, it is a common scene. A common scene b/c I failed to make better choices, consistently. A good choice helps, but too far and few between... is not going to cut it.  It's like bowling.  The strike in the first frame makes you feel good!  But if you gutter the next ball, that strike is long gone, unless you pile up some more closed frames (good choices) for the overall game (of life).

Hard work is it's own reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment