Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Been There Done That

In some of my most recent reading, Coach Cowboy calls me out.  What have you tried in the past?  Did it work?  If not, why?

Well, I've only tried a few.  But how hard did I really try?  As well, what if it did work, but I didn't finish it?
I've tried all of these, that come to mind, in no particular order:
1. Atkins diet: as soon as I found out I could not eat fruit, I thought it was stupid.  So this lasted about 3 days.
2. Introduction to Weight Training (in college as a Rec Class Pass/Fail, as well had 2 periods of weight training in HS): I really enjoyed lifting the weights.  I got strong and learned how to lift the correct way.  But I was still fat.  After college, I just never really pursued it.
3. Chicken & Rice 2 meals a day, oatmeal and egg whites in the morning, with a brisk 30 min walk 2x daily, allowing 1 cheat day or day off (portions considered):  I did very well on this but always thought of success as if I was smaller in size or not.  Not whether or not I'd completed it an stayed on menu for 30+ days in a row, as well, received a few compliments from friends and family that I looked thinner.  I was too embarrassed to get on a scale because most scales would not hold me and I refused to go to a post office or warehouse loading dock to get measured.  This lead to me cheating on more than 1 day, usually resorting to, "I'll make it up".  I shot lots of basketball with my youngest brother.  A Lot!  It was sweet.  I had energy.  We'd stay out until 830-9 at night shooting hoops.
4. Ideal Protein:  you'll have to look this one up.  But I didn't know how big I was when I started (numbers wise).  But I was consistent on this one.  I knocked it out of the park.  4 cups of certain veggies a day, 5-8 oz of good protein (fish, chicken, etc...) and 3 drinks (the packets.)  I lost an incredible amount of weight!  I estimate that I started at about 500 lbs.  I dropped all the way down to 328 lbs, which is as small as I got.  I fit into my tux very nicely for the day I married my beautiful bride. This all happened in less than 6 months.Right before our wedding is when we found out the issues I was having with my back.  I received some cortisone shots in my spine. (I never thought that when people said I'd play NFL just based on size, this is the NFL experience I'd have, of getting these shots).  We honeymooned in Disneyland.  I fit on the rides.  We went to Montana to introduce her to the rest of my family.  Most of them had encouraging words of astonishment on how good I looked. I loved looking good.  I liked the clothes she picked out for me. I was smaller than I was when I finished my 9th grade year in HS.  That was the year we lost our mother to cancer.  After getting married, my wife and I went and purchased the packets needed for both us to do it, together this time, for 3 months. I just couldn't find the determination. We still have a couple months supply of the packets.  Some of them, if not all, are expired.  We sold some of them back to the provider we'd purchased them from.

So, in my homework, I'm asked to list 5 questions that will not give me the same answers that I've received before.  Using the Super Highway Approach, here are my 5 questions:
1. How do you keep interested?  I know that I lose interest.
2. How do I burn fat but build muscle?  I see these contestants on the reality weight loss shows.  Some of the are shredded and cut when they get to their goal weight.  But others, you can clearly see they've burned some of the lean muscle.
3. What do I resort to if I am feeling lack of motivation?
4. When trying to maximize fat burning, is it better to eat only the same diet, or better to shock your body?
5. How do I move past the obstacle of thought/fear that I'll injure myself if I do "too much?"

In one of my readings from earlier, it is asked for me to reflect on a time when I felt good about myself, as a kid.  I'd like to try and keep it short, but I feel some preface is needed.  This particular event triggered a memory of my dad, that I've had stored for some time. I've pulled the memory out for special times when my youngest brother or sister asked me what dad was like when I was a kid. But last night watching the Finale of The Biggest Loser, the little boy Biingo's love for baseball brought out that memory again.

I do not recall how old I was exactly, but at this time in my life, all six of us kids were not here. Most of us were here.  My dad got home late from work and he hollered for me to get into "Old Blue", his 1977 Chevy pick up truck.  We sped out of the driveway after I'd tossed my baseball gear into the bed.  In uniform, I was sitting across the bench seat, pouting because I was sure we'd be late to my game.  Baseball and riding bikes was my life! This game in particular was a big deal because I was scheduled to pitch.  For my team, I played most of the positions on the field, but was usually 3rd base, Left Field, or pitcher. I'm certain my dad was speeding because he was a fast driver anyhow, but we got there on time.  The coach acknowledged that I was there and told me to warm up.  Well, we were on time, but the umpire was not.  So we waited.  I warmed up a little more.  Still no umpire.  So the two coaches asked for volunteers.  My dad spoke up.  What?!?! He was not very outgoing, unless he'd had a few beers, of course, but I know he hadn't  because he didn't have time between driving home from work, then driving out into the country where this ballpark was out in the fields!  So I was not embarrassed  but instead, I was nervous. What if I embarrassed him by pitching terrible?  After the first strikeout that I pitched, it was smooth sailing.  I even got a couple of hits that game.  We won! I pitched the whole game.  The other coach came up to me and said I was a good pitcher and I had good control.  That is a huge compliment.  At that age is where I separated myself from the other kids in size.  Not so much tall, but instead, as being wider, considerably.  But I didn't care!  On the way home, my dad said although he'd called a couple of "ify" strikes, he was proud of me and that I'd done a helluva job of pitching.  

Not all of my memories of our dad are as great as this one, but when you have one that is this great, it overshadows some of the other ones.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for being honest! Keep em coming! Oh and I'm glad I can finally write a post;)

    ReplyDelete