Monday, April 1, 2013

Staying On Schedule

Today was tough.  I say was because the only thing left to do is blog, fill my CPAP machine with water, read my goals and then go to sleep.  It still feels like a lot to do.  If feels like a lot since I am focusing on how much sleep I will get, knowing I will be getting up to do the same thing tomorrow. Work, family, eating, working out, very overwhelmed right now.

I worked a later shift at work today, putting me behind on my schedule.  Well, that is not all true.  I really don't have a set schedule for working out, other than every-other-day.  But, we didn't get home until 830pm.  I hadn't eaten dinner and I hadn't even started my warm up.  Heck, we still had to give the kiddos their nightly routine of medicine, diapers and bedtime prep.  We have to work early tomorrow, so the kiddos didn't get a whole lot of time time mommy or daddy tonight.  You know, the good times.  Tickling, hot-wheels cars, wrestling, not even reading.  But they were tired too.  So, as I get the hang of this and it is part of my lifestyle change, I believe and it is a goal of mine to have a solid work out schedule and time of day to work out.  Where I don't feel like I have to squeeze it in.  I've heard a.m. workouts are awesome.  I used to lift weights in the mornings.  Just got to get my sleeping butt out of the bed.

So, the 45 minutes in the Cowboy Fit Zone is done today. I did not get a chance to go to the gym, but I did get my wife to find a good DVD for me to use.  It was "Weeks 1-6 of The Biggest Loser Exercises", taught by Bob Harper and past contestants in his class.  Funny because I've actually tried reaching out to Bob Harper on Facebook, introducing myself, letting him know about this blog and what my goals are.  I have not heard anything back.  It is just a fan page after-all.  The guy gets results out of his clients, no lying there.

A little more fire in my workout tonight after memories of not being called back from The Biggest Loser staff. We went to a casting call here in SLC a few seasons back, of The Biggest Loser.  I didn't even receive an email to say "We didn't pick you...", well, that just added more feelings of not being selected for softball teams, basketball teams, etc... By this point in my life, when I went to the casting call, I was already married to Katie.  We already had our son.  We went and stood in the cold at 4am for 2 hours, in a line of about 400+ people, sitting on wet cement stairs.  All for about 15 minutes in a group-interview where I was allowed to give short answers to general questions.  The application itself took a couple of hours. All of that for 15 minutes?  Yeah, lame.

But, when I was not selected, it just reminded me of the things I'd missed out on before. Things that my size has prevented me from. Heck, nobody in my family ever tried "setting" me up with someone.  Were they embarrassed   That does a number on your confidence.  But, it is not their job to set me up.  Honestly, everything happens for a reason.  I say that a lot to my wife because I would not have ever moved back down to Utah.  That means that I would never have met her.  I'll tell you, my life has changed for the better, just having her by my side.  I've also settled down drastically since being married ;)  No more binge drinking (may have been fun at the time), but now it really is about calories and the quality of life I want with my family.  But to set the record straight, it wasn't all of the time.  I knew what I liked.  If I felt like having more than a few, I did.  Flat out. But also, with the beer and whiskey, came the stress of not having money, not liking my job, not feeling desirable, all added to not knowing what I was doing to my body.  Sad story. Not that I dwell on it a lot, but at the time, they were real and valid feelings.  By the way, I did not want my brothers or sister to set me up... they were all in Jr. High or High School.  That would just have been wrong. Ew.

So, on the upside, I received an email from Coach Cowboy today.  The 25+25+30+25 has now been changed. Starting tomorrow, I do 35 push ups 35 crunches and 35 squats in the morning, then repeat before bed.  Every other day I am working out 45 minutes in the Cowboy Fit Zone.  Plus, HOORAY for me, I usually only get in 10 girly push ups before I take a short breather, tonight, after doing my workout, I got to 13!  Yay!  I'll take any accomplishment I can get.

Plus, supper on the run, I am very grateful for Subways 6" sammiches.  Wheat bread turkey with extra veggies.  Nice.  Today I almost substituted my lunch with a slice of pizza from Costco.  Yeah... um...  NO!  I looked it up: 700 calories for one stinking slice!  I used to do that.  I used to eat a half a pizza to myself.  Truthfully, one of the managers at Pizza Hut in my hometown put me on the VIP list.  I got discounts.  I could have chosen the salad bar.  I had the power of choice.  I still do. But that would be the only thing I'd eat all day.  I had to save room for the Mountain Dew and beer (not together).  But, feeling good that my first choice was to look it up first.  In the past, I would eat it, limit it to one, then later find out the calories. Then the guilt would set in.  So, another accomplishment.

I was going to call in to be part of a conference call tonight to speak to Ryan "Cowboy" Ehmann.  He put on Facebook that anyone could call and ask questions specifically directed towards his program.  But I was busy working out, since  my schedule was all out of whack today.  So if anyone sees him, tell him that he needs to call me. ;)

Also, for the record.  I have been part of sports.  I just miss it.  Our Missoula, Montana City League Recreation 5 on 5 Men's Basketball Team a few years back won the championship.  I was part of that team.  I did not score a lot of points, but I did play some tough D on a couple of big guys.  I burned some calories. I think I blocked 1 shot, got some boards and even air-balled a deep 3 when I was wide open.  Hey, my teammates did not pass me the ball a lot.  Also, there was one game in particular where I ran the whole game (not by choice, we were short a couple bodies, so we had no subs).  But it was awesome.  I even got a shirt that said we were the champs.  Sad tho, it never fit me.  But I hung it in my closet with pride.

Carpe Diem!

8 comments:

  1. Nick...you are doing awesome! I am really proud to see you this motivated!!! I love reading your story...although at times makes me a little sad that you have had some really hard trials in your life. I'm glad you moved to Utah...or I wouldn't have had the opportunity to meet someone a awesome and someone with such a hard work ethic as you!! Your doing awesome...and keep telling your story!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well then, you'll like the one from tonight! Keep following. I'll try to make you laugh a little bit here and there. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. I remember that. You did good that was probubly the best airball I have ever seen. And just so you know by best I mean worst. I love you man and am very proud of you. Keep it up ps your foot was on the line

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, on the out of bounds line. I had no business shooting that. But the fact that I was that far back, and I overshot, instead of undershot??? Even I laughed. You guys should have passed me the ball more. All ya'll were bigger ball hogs than Kobe and LeBron! :) Just kidding. Please keep commenting on my blogs. I really do need your guys' support. I heart you Kevy-Kev. ;)

      Delete
  3. getting home from work late is always a tough night. I know you love spending time with your kids during that precious time. That's the best time we have with our daughter too. great job on the follow through and getting a workout in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kiddos are the best. I love looking at Katie, when she doesn't see me around the corner, and I get to watch her interact with the kids. Support through this challenge is huge. It doesn't happen over night, and I know it is for the better. I just keep telling myself and Katie, it's for us... not me. Thanks for keeping in touch Rachel. Your little girl is such a cutie.

      Delete
  4. I SO understand about staying on schedule. I've learned that with having kids it's VERY important to stick to a schedule. It's really hard to jungle family, work, eating good and working out. Thank you for showing me that is it possible. It's encouraging to see how you over come this challenge of finding time to work out and eat right. Your right it's a life style change.
    Your doing good nick! Keep up the good work!!! We are all so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, tell me about it. It's better to get on here and vent about it, than to keep it in. It was probably one of the toughest nights that I've had so far. But I know things are changing. Thank you for the support ShanShan!

      Delete