Monday, April 8, 2013

Game of Adjustments

Well, tonight, I got a few different things to share with ya'll.  I have been running on little energy.  I've felt defeated/deflated.  It's been a tough week or so.  We were still able to make time for my workouts.  We were still able to celebrate my wife's birthday weekend.  Our son does not have any mushy spots on his skull from his 2 concussions.  Although we go in to the doc tomorrow for a surgical consult for tubes in our little girl's ears, she is surprisingly happy!  I love that smile.  So you could say we've had a rough and tough week.  Or you could not say that.  But as I watch Michigan fail to make adjustments, I thought to myself, "how do they expect to win if they are only playing not to lose?"

What do I mean?  Well, as I have said before, I love hoops.  Well, other than bad attitudes and chest slapping, I enjoy a good hard fought war, by respectful athletes/ball players.  When I refer to the adjustments, I thought that the coach should have called a time out here or there to assist in slowing down the momentum that Louisville was building up.  I thought they could've used a couple of adjustments, to improve their chances of success.  In my game.  In my journey, I have a coach.  I have a mentor. I have a strong tribe in my corner.  But the overall game plan and adjustments are crucial in me staying focused on my goals.  Crucial to me decreasing my body fat percentage.  Crucial in my continuing learning and knowledge of nutrition.  Crucial to my preparing for physical activity as an athlete.

Today was the perfect example.  I was not so hot on the water intake.  I didn't hit my goal for calorie intake, nor am I on a strict diet.  I try to eat a bigger breakfast.  But I do not want to take food away from my family.  I know that not missing meals is crucial at this point in what I'm trying to do here.  We are broke.  We will likely be overdrawn when we get paid this week.  Matter of fact, when we get paid, I will not have a 80 hour check, so we will be short anyhow.  right about now, I'm feeling like we are spending too much money on food.  Not dining out, but just food in general.  It seems that when you're broke, everything sounds good.  You drive by here, you hear someone say that... it all sounds wonderful!  But, when I'm sitting there, I feel selfish about me trying to eat this stuff for good calories, but I wonder what we're going to do the next shopping trip.  What can we afford. It feels like you mush choose 2 out of 3: time, health, money, when you're planning your menu for the week.

I bring this up because, whether it's about fitness success, your job/career, money, building a strong relationship (with family, siblings or your children), you have to make adjustments.  If you do the same thing over and over, but expect different results... you're going to drive yourself crazy.  You'll end up drowning.  Stay afloat.  Make the adjustments that will help you achieve success. For right now, we just keep getting the things we can afford and getting the things that we need.  Everything else is extra.  Fixing the car, payments, past due, etc...

This week, we set new goals and focus on the first ones as well.  I can't change that I didn't get a full 80 last period.  I can change what I get this period.  I can't change the calories I didn't get today.  Money pending, I can change the calories I get tomorrow, or this week.  You do what you can and you keep on keepin on.  Right?

Anyhow, I need a drum roll.  So tonight Katie says, "I want to measure you!"
It has been 9 days since my last measurement.  Last time I lost 13 inches, all in my chest and shoulders.
Tonight, in other areas (hips, belly, abs upper and lower, upper thigh, upper arm and neck).

I lost another 8.5 inches.
So that means since I've started this, I've lost about 22 inches!

That is with a fudged diet that is not set, just trying to learn how to read labels and calorie intake.

In the past week, I've needed a win.  It's been tough.  Tonight on my Facebook, my wife and my niece both laid it out and thanked me for teaching them lessons and being inspiration!  This weekend, both of my younger brothers flat out told me how awesome they think I am (finally we agree on something!)

Holy cow.  They must have been feeling the spirit in them to come out ans say something, but to those 4 people, thank you very much.  You've helped keep my fire burning.  I am especially proud of my wife tonight.  Dropped right down on the floor and cranked out 10 push ups, 10 crunches and 25 squats, then walked 3 miles with a video.  We didn't even plan it.  It just happened.  And she says I'm her inspiration???

I love you Katie.  I love that you are such a loving mother and wife.  Thank you for showing me why I want to make this lifestyle change, through the struggles and success.

4 comments:

  1. 22 inches...awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, I would like to hear more about the walking video?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walk Away the Pounds. Before we got together and before her surgery, Katie had bought some of the fitness stuff you see in the infomercials. She bought the boxing one. She bought the Walk Away the Pounds. Maybe another couple of programs. The Biggest Loser one I did last week. It's just nice to have them in the house since we don't have any weights here, or a treadmill, etc... I know that chasing Tate around is exercise in itself, with him being 2 1/2 yrs old. You've got one or two boys, from what I've heard, Jamie. But it was really cool to see her just get up, without discussion, and just crank it out. Then come to find out, she posted on my Facebook talking about inspiration. So, I literally sat there and watched her. That video I did was 2 miles. She pumped out 3 miles!

      Delete
  2. Yeah just for the record the whole all of the bros agreeing on something probably won't happen again. Lol. Hey so I know this last week was a tough one. That is what you got family for. Call me up and vent. My phone is always on. Also it's awesome how no matter how tough your week was you still did what you could and you still made progress. RESILIENCY!!!!!!!! That's right. This Montanan knows a big word. In the military we get this word pounded into our head. This one word explains our lives. And this one word explains what you went through last week. It's the ability to bounce back. The ability to have negative things happen to you and no matter what it is you bounce back and succeed in whatever it is your trying to accomplish. You have resilience big bro and it grows on people as you keep progressing to your goal. Keep your head up and push through the tough times. I know you can do it of all people. Love you man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome nick! I'm so proud of you! I've told you before how much you've inspired me and now I'm going to put my money where my mouth is. Lol. I'm going to find time everyday to do some kind of workout. Whether that be push-ups, squats, crunches, walking etc. maybe all those things some days but at least something everyday. I see you going through your struggles and I feel if you can do it then so can I. I'm so happy your brothers got on here and started writing you. I knew they would really encourage you. You guys have a brotherly bond that's like no other :)

    Just know we are always praying for you!! God is also in your corner:) love ya nick! Keep it up!! You can do this!

    ReplyDelete