Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Heart Rating

Why the title?  I'll tell you.  Tonight, after watching my wife say she was only going to do 2 miles, then busted out 3 because she wanted to complete her goal (tough act to follow!), it was then my turn to work out in the Cowboy Fit Zone.  My zone for maximum fat burning right now is 142bpm-163bpm.  I usually stay around 145-155 on a treadmill.

I'm not sure if it was the heart rate monitor strap sliding around or if my heart didn't feel the need to beat any faster, but I couldn't seem to get up into the zone.  I started out with the Biggest Loser DVD that I did a week or so ago, then I switched to a Walk Away The Pounds, then I switched to our little stairway.  I used one step to go up and down.  Then I came in and started some push ups.  Nothing that I listed above got me to my Cowboy Fit Zone!  So I counted all of this as a warm up and headed outside.  I walked as fast as I could and even broke into a "kind-of" jog for about a half of a block.  When I reached what I thought would have been a half-way point, I headed back.  Again, for good measure, took about a half of a block to do a little jog.  I walked in, with a bitter-sweet feeling.  Accomplished, but disappointing. Did I reach my HR goal?  I honestly have not a clue.  I didn't figure out how to get the back light on my watch to work.  The whole time I was working, I heard the beep that signals when I am above or below my target HR.  So I imagine that I was above and below all throughout the walk.  I know that I was sweating pretty good, plus it was a little chilly, which felt good.

I am contemplating going in to work early tomorrow to use the ancient treadmill there so I can be certain that I am working out in the target HR zone.  But, my goal right now is that if I cannot get in every-other-day workouts, then at least I get in 3 workouts a week.  I am on track.  But, am I being too hard on myself?

I have blogged before about being disappointed.  Really, I am not a hard guy to satisfy.  I have mellowed out quite a bit since being married.  That is probably a good thing.  But when you're struggling with money.  Feels like you owe money here and there. Don't know how you're going to get your car repaired.  Trying to show upper management at work that you're worth something.  Health issues at home with the kiddos.  Not being able to go buy a certain food you want to eat better.  All of that stuff adds up.

Both of my brothers told me about being hard on myself as well as being resilient.  I am just venting, but it would be nice to have a dinner table to eat dinner with my family, instead of on the couch.  It would be nice to have some healthy food supply.  All we wanted to do tonight was be able to get in a good workout.  I like walking outside as much as the next guy.  Heck, I prefer being outside.  Them videos are helpful, but I can only stand so much pain in my hips.  Maybe I was meant to go outside?

But I did it.  I may be disappointed about a few things, but I am definitely comfortable saying that I used to just figure "I'll do it tomorrow" since it didn't work out the way I wanted it to.  It may not have been in my zone that I like, but I'll take getting out and moving around, over procrastination.  Eventually, enough procrastinating will take 1 week and turn it into 3 years.  Or even more!

So, I am a little concerned about my HR monitor.  We'll have to see how it works the next workout.  But I reckon I can tell ya'll a little something that actually made my week.

I posted about the total inches lost so far... well, this workout tonight and on Monday, I had to tighten my chest strap and go in an extra notch on my belt.  Eh?  That is some good stuff!

My wife even told me, when we were getting into a cuddly spot, that my chest was too hard. Ha ha.  That is a good thing.  Hopefully that means my "chesticles" are getting bigger the right way??? :)  So, back to the Heart Rating title.  If you want it bad enough your heart, you'll find ways to make things work.

What is YOUR Heart Rating?

5 comments:

  1. Yes sir thats awesome to hear you say. Thats totally how I feel to. I have always thought of that saying, why put off what you could get done today. Not saying I always do but I no when I put something off then the next day seems you dont want to do it even more. Or you think man I should have got it done yesterday haha. I love you man. Keep it up. Sounds like your doin great. Your mindset is right were you want it to be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man it's rough. I used to be able to go out and shoot hoops pretty much anytime I wanted to. But, I'm happy that I got out and moved around. I can't say I don't think about how it kind of took a turn for the worse when I got bigger. But I can look back now and say I'm doing something about it. It is scary to me that I texted you Jeff and Chanele last May (2012) and I was depressed b/c I'd let myself get to 535 lbs. I love and miss you brother. Hopefully I'll have something to show off, when we come up the end of June.

      Delete
  2. Well no matter what im proud man. Its all up to the person when it comes down to it. And to me it looks like you have that drive you want it, and as long as you have that your going to get it. I was so shocked when I went to your wedding you were a diffent man not just weight either you seemed determend, I dont know how to explain it but it was there, and reading this blog and keepin up on this journey, it sounds like you got it back, you have your eye set on something and you wont give up till you get it, I love it and I will b here the whole way. let your cowboy shine

    ReplyDelete
  3. im glad you didnt get on the biggest losser, because then you wouldnt of met ryan. He seems like the real deal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a dork, just like us. I was thrilled when I found out, by mistake, that he was from Darby. But I'd like to meet him and have him meet you guys too. Just a Montana guy, that is simple.

      Delete