Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Got Push-ups?

Well, as I sit here, sore, reflecting on how this 25 day challenge has made me realize just how out of shape I am, from where I used to be, I am forever grateful for my wife!  Today could have been an ugly day.  Trying to get all of this stuff lined up and make it part of our everyday life.  We needed to slow down today and put things in perspective.  It's not going to happen over night. We needed to hear how the other one is taking it in.  What they see. It is just as much mental as it is a commitment to going on the walks. Working out. Morning push-ups, squats and cowboy crunches, then the night push-ups, squats and cowboy crunches.  Shoot, today, I did my morning strength rebuilding in a room at my work.  It's located by a couple of offices that are used for guests that come to visit for a week from another site, or other things.  This room in particular is used as a ping pong room and an office chair graveyard.  But, sore I am.  But the soreness does not even measure the appreciation I have for my wife.  It is a lot to take on and ad to what seems like an already busy life between kids, daycare, work, doctors, etc...  But communication is key, to one self as well, to your spouse.

So, back to how things are going since I mentioned that I was beginning to feel overwhelmed.  Well, tonight, right before my 35+35+35 nightly strengths, Katie and I listened to the Shark Tank podcast.  It is available to listen to.  But I was just wanting to find out what Coach Cowboy was up to.  I get emails from him.  He shoots me inspirational messages and asks if I have questions.  Tomorrow I have a conference call with other clients that get to drill him with questions.  But tonight I was truly astonished.  Heck, I teared up some.  Katie always likes to see her man shed a couple drops.

In the podcast/interview, he is about 20 minutes in, talking about his path and his passion and why he wants to do what he does.  He flat out says that nobody ever really gets what he is about. They all think he is out there to make money.  At first, 20 years ago, maybe.  He got his college paid for by an invention that he sold.  Didn't strike it rich, but did fine.  Free education is always good.  But now, this is different.  I didn't realize that he really is invested in me.  He is wanting to help change my lifestyle.

BOOM!  The bomb drops.  He says, "I'd like to talk about my passion real quick.  I got a guy from Utah who reached out to me the night my episode of Shark Tank aired....."   What?!  Katie knew it right away.  She was giddy.  "He's going to talk about you!!!!"  No way.  I didn't believe what I'd just heard.  Coach goes on.  He says, "He told me about his back and hurting.  He told me that he'd reached out to some of the celebrity trainers and exercise gurus.  They didn't even give him a "no."  They just flat out never replied to his messages.  So he told me, "If you're not interested in pointing me in the right direction, with me being willing to give you my success story to help sell your DVDs, then please, at least reply to let me know that you've read my message."  He then went on in the interview to discuss about how this is motivation and inspiration that people all across America need.  If you're trying to shed 40 pounds and think "Oh I can't do it!!", well then explain to me how this guy "Nick" from Utah is swallowing his pride and asking for some help at a critical point in his life, being Type II Diabetic, 460 lbs and agreeing with a word of mouth that he's going to Cowboy Up and follow my lead...."

I just wanted to share with ya'll that I am sold on the passion alone.  I have dropped 13.5 inches.  I am going in to be weighed on this Thursday, which I'll post the result in a blog.  Frankly, tonight, I don't care what I weigh.  I know that I am learning.  I know it b/'c I am talking about it with other people.  I feel something different this time around.  The yo-yo dieting and starvation does not work.  Really, I've tried.  It sucks.  And you know what really sucks? Living the rest of your High School days, and going to your brothers' football and basketball games without your dad.  Or your mom.  You constantly wonder if what you're trying to do is enough for them.  Well, I know that I don't want to live like this.  I don't want to sit here, knowing that anything can happen to anyone.

You are all probably thinking, "Well, geez, Nick is right.  All of our days are limited.  Everyone's."  But that is not what I'm talking about.  Yes it sucks losing your parents.  My wife never met either one of them.  My kids never met them.  But when I say anything can happen to anyone... I am talking about me being a simple guy from Montana.  I may not be the most shy or the most outgoing.  Some of you might cringe when you hear that I weigh 460 lbs.  I don't even like hearing the number.  But I can tell you this.  I'm sore today and I'll be sore tomorrow.  It's a good reminder that I am still alive, doing something about it. Striving to make better choices.

If you would like, here is the web address to the podcast from the Shark Tank.  My blog address will be showing up there in the "notes" section soon from what it sounds like: http://www.sharktankpodcast.net/stpi-006-ryan-the-cowboy-ehmann-thats-what-im-talking-about/

10 comments:

  1. Nick,

    Yes I am taking about you and I just added a link to you're blog post to the front page of my website. I have a new site being built and then the world is really going to get a chance to meet and follow you my friend. Why me you ask? Because you are embarking on the hardest, most difficult thing you have ever been faced with in you're entire life and I want the world to know and for you to prove to you, you're wife, you're parents who are watching, you're kids and the thousands of followers that the answer to changing you're life isn't going on a Show Biggest Loser where they teach you nothing except use you to make millions from TV. Then when the show is over kick you back into the real life and watch you're life spiral back to where you started. Remember, it's a TV show and all they care about is ratings NOT Nick. Give thanks that you wasn't chosen for the show. Everyday you keep focusing on how thankful you are to have an amazing wife, wonderful kids and that this world has blessed you with another day of having oxygen in you're lunges and the hopes/dreams in you're heart to create a dream life for you're beautiful family. Just remind yourself each day you will never live again where you are at today and also you are another day closer to the new life you are creating. Oh yeah, I guess us Montana Cowboys are tough as the -40 below winters so nothing my friend, I mean nothing can or will stop us from achieving what we put our Cowboy mind too.
    Wooo Hoooo ... That's What I'm Talking About

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Coach. I agree. I am thankful for everything you've listed. I look forward to talking tonight on the call. I will give it my Montana All. When this insulation is gone, I will not be visiting home when it is -40 degrees. But I do miss the winters. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Ryan. The support you show for Nick is tremendous. It's surreal to hear you talk about him and his efforts. I have to say he is doing amazing! He's happier (if that was possible) and he's more energetic. He's truly committed. I forget sometimes and offer him a jelly bean or something that is not something he wants to eat, and he has no problem saying No Thanks. It doesn't even phase him! So again, I thank you for investing your interest and your support and your knowledge! Thank you for replying to his email! The kids and I are so excited to see this journey keep going! -Katie, Tate, and Cece Braaten

      Delete
  2. Nick
    Just a note from a friend in Montana. Lets see how do I start this......I remember the boy who was always so happy and sincere that would talk to me on the phone and even write me letters. I being just a little older than seen a young man whose heart was and still is one of the purest I've seen. You have had a rough path in life most cannot seem to fathom. Being a long time friend of your whole family I am so proud of the chooses and paths you have taken. Thumbs up to Katie who stands behind you in full force. I have faith in you to do whatever you choose. Keep up the good work.
    Bug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bug! I miss you. You need to meet Katie and my kiddos! We are hoping to be up in Montucky this 4th of July! Please keep following. Nothing better than everyone being able to see my struggles and success on the world wide web. Right? Being vulnerable is the best way to keep yourself accountable.

      Delete
  3. Hey Nick, I have updated the Shark Tank Podcast to include a link to your blog. Your story is inspiring and you are living proof of the effect Ryan is having on people's lives. Inspiring stuff. Way to make it happen!
    "Ideas mean little...The magic is in the execution" Robert Herjavec of the Shark Tank.

    TJ Hale
    Sharktankpodcast.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the podcast very much. I am a little overwhelmed still. But I am a lot sore. :) Thank you for believing in my coach and me. All I can do it give it my Cowboy All as he says, right? I'd love to hear more support from you again. It is not always easy. But once I get in shape, I would like a chance to box with Damon. He has a pretty inspiring story too. I've found one of the challenges is deciding exactly how much of my private life I want to put out there (ie: my wife, kids, parents, siblings, etc...). But I feel good that the world wide web, or as some folks in Montana say it, "The InterWeb", well, I just think it's creative to put it all out here for folks to see. That is the best way to keep myself in check.

      But again, thank you. I look forward to hearing from you. Take care of yourself.

      Delete
  4. Your doing something right Nick! Every time I read your blog I truly get inspired. Thank you again for being so true and honest. I know it's not easy putting everything out there on the interWeb...hehe. Even as I sit here writing you a comment I realize others may read this. Thinking that i still feel the need to write from my heart. I feel if you can be this honest and put everything out there then its the least i can do to leave a comment that is also true and honest.

    I'm going to do my best to spread the word about your blog. I really feel that if people can see this they will be inspired. I think it's cool that you talk about your family. The love you have for your wife and kids and siblings shows the world just what kind of person you are.

    Keep it up nick! Can't wait to read more!

    -Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Nickie! Just wanted to say, "Keep up the good work!" God bless you, Katie and the kiddos and just know that we are very proud of you and we will be praying for you!! Love you guys!! :)
    From your favorite cousin in Montana...the one with the daughter that would probably kidnap your daughter if she could!!! Ha ha :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so thankful for the support I get from family I don't get to see all of the time. That is why I want to make these changes. I want to be around longer, so ya'll can see me happy, with my new family. Katie adores you. I miss you guys. I would love to make it up to see you, your family, your mom and dad, everybody up there. But it's been a while since I've been to Great Falls! Please do pray for me and the health of my family. We'll take all of the prayers we can get. Tell your daughter I miss both her and her brother. :)

    ReplyDelete