Saturday, May 3, 2014

Halfway Through 24 Day Challenge

Today we start day 13, or if you wish, Day 3 of our Max Phase, of the 24 Day Challenge.

I got in a very good feeling workout last night.  I was going to go to the rec center.  I like how my chest strap heart rate monitor communicated with the heart rate monitors on the machines I use there.  It makes it nice to just see what your heart rate is at, constantly on the display.  But, as I said, I was going to go there, but by the time we got done with the kiddos at a Kangaroo Zoo, it was too late to get them home and ready for bed and still have time to get into my Superman gig, like I do when I'm about to work out.  So, no rec center for me last night.  But even though we were rushed to get the kiddos some exercise in that big ol' bounce house style inflatables with obstacle courses and big ol' inflatable slides and such (they played soooo hard), it is such a good feeling that:
a) We didn't eat out or eat junk.  Instead, we ate before we left.  We had lean beef and veggies. No complex carb. AND we both refilled our water bottles.  You know what is funny?  We were both way past our gallon, for the day and we still chose to continue perfection.
b) We got home a littler later then I like to work out.  So, did I chose not to work out?  Absolutely not!  I did what I said I was going to do.  We discussed how cram packed the night was going to be, but without any hesitation Katie said, "Well, you're still going to workout, it's not like you're going to skip it."  We both already knew that skipping was not an option.

But a couple of other things that were pretty epic before all this happened.  Let me lay them out for you.  Keep reading.

First, I'll start with a friend of mine.  No, it's not Katie. I didn't say Best Friend. :)  But this friend of mine, is from way back when I first moved down to Salt Lake City, UT, years ago, back in 1998-99ish.  I moved down here on a whim, with my buddy Brian.  Does that sound gay? Haha. Just kidding.  He is a good buddy for sure.  Been through a lot with that dude.  But back to this gal.  Well back then, we worked together and then she worked for me at a 50's themed diner.  That was fun.  Poodle skirts, 50's music... really, this is a generation that I probably should have been a part of.  I actually do like to watch them kind of movies: Happy Days series on TV when I was between 6-9 years old. Just fascinated with it.  Um let's see... American Graffiti, Grease the musical.  Um yeah, I just said that.  Wow, now that does make it sound gay.  But you know what?  It doesn't really matter. It is a good flick.  I'll always be a nerd.  That is something that I'll pass down to my offsprungs. :) 

Back on track with the news about my friend.  We ran into Mandi, downtown last month. About a month ago.  I totally forgot that it was her birthday, but the funny thing was, she was just leaving the restaurant and we were just going in.  It was really busy because of a lot of kids that were gussied up to go to the prom.  Fun.  But I had never ran into her, in quite some time, including the last 5 years that I've lived in SLC, or the last 5 years that I've been with Katie.  So her and Katie had never met.  So although it was rushed, I introduced them.  But later, it came back to me, SHOOT!  Mandi was at that place because it was her bday.  That was the same reason that Katie and I were going.  We had a couple of bday coupons for discounts at dinner!  So I texted Mandi and gave her a well wish for a good rest of her bday, although there was only about 3.5 hours left in the day. 

But how do you get the balls to tell someone about something new you're going to do in just a couple of weeks, when it's relates to their health?  How do you break the ice and say, "Hey, would you like to lose some weight or inches?"  Really, in some/most cases, the person you direct that question to, they've probably already looked in the mirror, once a day for the last year, 3 years, 20 years and wished that they were more fit or trim, or at the least bit, wished they were not as big as they were.  They're more than likely going to take it, not offensively always, but they're probably going to hear "you're fat."  Well, that is not the case here. I was trusting my old friendship with Mandi that she would take it for what it was worth and that is, me, simply and kindly offering a new way for a good quick Jumpstart of taking some control back, of a life of feeling like a victim in your own skin. 

So, she said Yes!  She was willing to give it another go, and not quit.  She'd admitted that she has dieted and worked out and done the whole portion control stuff, before.  She then said that, yes, she'd do pretty good, but since she was not able to see results, it'd usually end up binging after anywhere from 5 days to 14 days. But she didn't want that. 

Well, today is day 6 of her Cleanse Phase of Her 24 Day Challenge. Out of respect, I will not post her weight.  But last night, I got a text. after Katie and I had gone to bed.  Katie heard my phone chime.  She picked it up and looked at it.  She woke me up!  I was sleeping good too!  I was pretty tired.  Katie is a slave driver.  ;)  But she said, "Babe, you gotta read this!"  It was a text, from Mandi, and it read:

"Doin good!  I weighed myself on Sunday night at xxx lbs and I just weighed at xxx.x lbs.!"  In just 5 days on Her 24 Day Challenge, Mandi has lost 10.6 pounds!  Great job!  That is what you can get, if you just get it set in your head, "I'm doing this.  Nothing is going to stop me."  "I can do anything for 24 Days!"  Honestly, some people freak out and their stomachs get tied in knots, worrying sick about what's going to happen in 10 years.  "OMG I gotta do this diet for 10 years!!! That is way to long!"  So they get overwhelmed.  Then they quit, in their mind, before they even get a chance to change or believe in themselves.  Really, it is sad.  But you know what?  This leads Perfectly into my next Epic news of the day, for yesterday:

Secondly, and the best part (actually was from the day before yesterday) was saved for the last:  My beautiful wife.  Wow. What a great way to view what we're doing on this 24 Day Challenge.  Really, we're vulnerable, on purpose, with a mindset to accept that we want to change.  But in order to change, we have to be willing to change.  A lot of that change, is choices.

But let me share what she shared on Facebook, openly to everyone. Everyone that knows her now, as well, everyone that knew her as a young lady and a possibly even a kid.  People that have seen her as a single lady, before we got together.  Co-workers that see her every day, as well, before she had her gastric bypass surgery (which she did very very good at).  But read this post:

"I've never EVER been able to look at food as fuel and that is it.  Food has ALWAYS been associated to a feeling for me...always. Guess what???? To me, this is a miracle.  Food is fuel!  That's it!  Sure cookie and cake are delicious and I won't ever deny it. Bu I can live without it.  I can pass by it and not eve think twice.  I'm not deprived because I didn't get a cookie!  Come on, it's pretty sad if my emotional status is based on whether or not I get a cookie!  To some of you this may be your normal every day feeling.  Food is fuel. To me, no joke, it is and Epiphany!  How can something so simple, make me feel so good????" -Katie Braaten

Well, that is a Champion if I've ever seen one.  How blessed am I to have her in my corner?  Talk about being willing to accept a change.

Now, I understand that some of you reading, may not operate like Katie, or me, or Cowboy Ryan or anyone else that I've ever made reference to in my blogs.  But some of you might.  That is why I share. 

Find you.  Be good to yourself.  Be willing to accept a change, if you want change.  You can't put diesel fuel in an unleaded tank and expect to run clean. Another piece of knowledge from Katie. Now that one I love. ;)

Wrap your head around this:  You'll always wish you'd've started, back when you said you were going to.  Don't let another opportunity pass.  Be bold. You know what?  The best baseball players in the history of the game aren't the guys who hold the records for most Home Runs.  What does that mean?  It means, swing for the fences!  Give it your all, even if you don't always hit a home run.  But, you're never going to hit a home run if you don't swing the effin bat!  What are you going to do for yourself?  www.AdvoCare.com/14044214

I love you Katie!  I am so very proud of you! I am blessed.

The Best Day of My Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment