Friday, May 9, 2014

Day 19 of 24 Day Challenge

We are wrapping up our 19th day of the 24 Day Challenge.  WoooHooo!  I'd like to report that we are still Perfect.  We have not missed a workout. We have not skipped a meal.

Overall, I'm really astonished at how often, people will choose to do nothing.  They talk to me like, "Wow, you guys are doing awesome!  What are you doing?  Every time I see you guys in the breakroom, eating your lunch, it looks so good!  You guys are eating food!"  It's like they're shocked that we're eating anything. 

People are so used to "Fad-Diets" and other means, as I've mentioned before.  For me, that is just not how I choose to do things.  I'm glad that people who want change are seeking ways to better themselves.  Heck if that's the South Beach Diet, the Body By Jake, The Body Builder's Diet, Slim Fast Shakes... anything.  They're trying to make changes!  That is very courageous.

But flat out, when you ask me what I'm doing and say that you're impressed, I'd say that is a queue that you're looking.  But I have news for you. What you're looking for, it's not gonna knock on the door.  You have to go get it.  There are lots of ways to be healthier. Little changes in your daily routine, that you do, without thinking about.

Think about this.  Take the stairs, not the elevator.  Or try not to skip a meal, for a day.  Then make a promise to yourself, after a successful day, to do it the next day.  If you keep making promises and keep them, you'll string some successes together.  Whether you like it or not, you'll build some self-esteem. Then after building some credibility with yourself, you'll get the courage to make a big step where you start holding yourself accountable, or tracking calories, or working out, or finding your heart rate zone, or looking for some helpful vitamins or supplements that will help you see results from your efforts, thus, giving you more determination to stick with it.

I have more news for you.  That month, that week, that day, that hour... it's going to pass whether you choose to do something or choose to do nothing.

It's not up to anyone, but you.  Nobody can make the choice for you.  Hey if you're happy, more power to you.  My sharing is really only a way to reach out to them that can relate with me and where I am or where I was. I was scared and embarrassed, at the same time.  Heck, I was ashamed.  I was ashamed because I knew I was better.  I knew that my wife loved me, no matter what.  That is something that you just know.

But I took that love for granted.  Shame on me!  My kids see me as a Super Hero!  I can do anything, in their eyes.  Instead, I chose to sit there and let them see me sit there, doing nothing.  Love them?  Hell yes I do.  I did then too.  But I was not setting any kind of example that I'd want them to follow. Do they not deserve better?  Doesn't Katie deserve better?  Don't I Deserve Better?

These thoughts would keep me awake at night.  If I did sleep, I wasn't sleeping well.  I would still talk to people, but inside, I was not happy with how I felt lethargic.  I knew I was not happy not being active.  I know I'm the type that prefers to be out and about, moving around.  Not out doing anything in particular, but just out.  But now, I feel a difference. I feel as if my battery has been recharged!  I feel more energy.  It is amazing how easy this has been. 

It's not just the 24 Day Challenge.  Sure, it feels good that we are in the home stretch.  We have less than a week.  I am actually looking forward to seeing what the inches are and what the scale reads.  I'm looking forward to it because I know that we've decided to take action.  Will the numbers not be as significant, once the Challenge is over?  Who knows. Maybe.  But I know that we're already making plans of who works out when and what kind of stuff we'll have on our menu.  Sure, we may have a difference of what we've been eating, a meal or two, during a week.  We may just eat clean for 6 days and take a day off. We don't have it exact yet, but before, we wouldn't even plan.

Starting tomorrow, we'll have 5 days (including) tomorrow.  It's kind of funny to look back at just a couple weeks ago, thinking, man, we're only on day 5!  Now?  We're looking forward to how soon we can get another Challenge started. 

I love you Katie. I love you Cece.  I love you Tate.

No comments:

Post a Comment